Buffalo Field Campaign Billboard for the 2023 Montana Legislative Session
What single most important action will save the wild buffalo?
Repealing Montana Code Annotated § 81-2-120 (MCA 81-2-120). Because without MCA 81-2-120 on the books:
- The spigot of taxpayer dollars would stop flowing to Dept. of Livestock operations removing wild buffalo in Montana.
- Yellowstone National Park would lose its’ public justification for trapping wild buffalo for slaughter inside the park.
- New born buffalo calves and their mothers would no longer be harassed by government agents from spring calving grounds.
- Wild buffalo would roam millions of acres of National Forest habitat surrounding Yellowstone National Park.
- The opportunity for naturally recovering buffalo in the wild would have a chance of succeeding.
Our Legislator Educator Initiative page is about providing you the information and tools to begin the hard work of persuading Montana’s elected officials MCA 81-2-120 has gotta go.
Never lose sight of what needs to be done: REPEAL MCA 81-2-120. Keep repeating the message to elected officials, REPEAL MCA 81-2-120, every chance you get.
Below you’ll find various ways to help save wild buffalo. In everything you do for the buffalo in conjunction with BFC please be respectful to those you seek to influence.
Track the status of Montana bills
- Click on Request To Testify Remotely/Upload Your Testimony.
- Complete the form.
- Click on Yes to join the Zoom meeting.
- Click on Submit.
- You will receive a confirmation by email with information on how to participate in the Zoom meeting.
- To be eligible to testify remotely, complete your request and send it no later than 5PM (MST) the day before the hearing is scheduled.
- Once you are Zoomed into the hearing, follow the directions. When your bill is ready to be heard, raise your virtual hand to let the committee know you want to speak.
- If you provide written comments along with your request to testify remotely, use your testimony by Zoom to say something more or new to what you have already shared in writing with the committee. Prepare ahead of time to speak briefly (1 to 3 minutes).
Send your comment to a legislator or committee online:
Call and leave your message for up to 5 legislators and a committee with the Information Desk:
Mail your comment:
Montana State Legislature
PO Box 201706
Helena, MT 59620-1706
Office of the Governor
PO Box 200801
Helena MT 59620-0801
Toll Free: 855-318-1330
Website form: https://svc.mt.gov/gov/contact/shareopinion
Guide to commenting on bills.
- Be brief and clear, write to the point.
- The most persuasive writing is in your own words.
- BFC's talking points can be used in your comments.
- For guidance on addressing/commenting to legislators, review BFC’s comments.
- Send your comments by 12 noon one day before scheduled committee hearings or floor votes. Give legislators time to consider your comments.
Are you ready to send your comments?
- Montana’s web form permits comments from anyone in the United States.
- You can send your comments to a Committee or Legislator.
- Complete the required data fields (*asterisk*).
- Select Send Message to a Legislator or a Committee.
- Select the Bill Type (HB-House Bill or SB-Senate Bill) and enter the Number.
- Select For or Against.
- Enter your comments in the Message (limit of 1250 characters).
- Check for accuracy.
- Click on Send Message
You did it! Thank you for taking action in support of protecting wild buffalo in Montana!