What single most important action will save the wild buffalo?
Repealing Montana Code Annotated § 81-2-120 (MCA 81-2-120). Because without MCA 81-2-120 on the books:
- The spigot of taxpayer dollars would stop flowing to Dept. of Livestock operations removing wild buffalo in Montana.
- Yellowstone National Park would lose its’ public justification for trapping wild buffalo for slaughter inside the park.
- New born buffalo calves and their mothers would no longer be harassed by government agents from spring calving grounds.
- Wild buffalo would roam millions of acres of National Forest habitat surrounding Yellowstone National Park.
- The opportunity for naturally recovering buffalo in the wild would have a chance of succeeding.
We don’t know yet if a bill will be introduced in the Montana legislature to REPEAL MCA 81-2-120. We do know bills affecting wild buffalo will be heard – for good or bad! If a bill is introduced affecting wild buffalo, it provides an opportunity to advance our message to Montana’s elected officials: REPEAL MCA 81-2-120.
The 2021 Montana legislative session provides all Montanans an opportunity to educate elected officials. Our idea – REPEAL MCA 81-2-120 – must become their idea. Our Legislator Educator Initiative page is about providing you the information and tools to begin the hard work of persuading Montana’s elected officials MCA 81-2-120 has gotta go.
Never lose sight of what needs to be done: REPEAL MCA 81-2-120. Keep repeating the message to elected officials, REPEAL MCA 81-2-120, every chance you get.
The Montana Legislature is in session to May 1, 2021.
Below you’ll find various ways to help save wild buffalo. In everything you do for the buffalo in conjunction with BFC please be respectful to those you seek to influence.
Send your comment to a legislator or committee online:
Call and leave your message for up to 5 legislators and a committee with the Information Desk:
Mail your comment:
Montana State Legislature
PO Box 201706
Helena, MT 59620-1706
Guide to commenting on bills.
- Be brief and clear, write to the point.
- The most persuasive writing is in your own words.
- BFC's talking points can be used in your comments.
- For guidance on addressing/commenting to legislators, review BFC’s comments.
- Send your comments by 12 noon one day before scheduled committee hearings or floor votes. Give legislators time to consider your comments.
Are you ready to submit your comments?
- Montana’s web form permits comments from anyone in the United States.
- You can send your comments to a Committee or Legislator.
- Complete the required data fields (*asterisk*).
- Select Send Message to a Legislator or a Committee.
- Select the Bill Type (HB-House Bill or SB-Senate Bill) and enter the Number.
- Select For or Against.
- Enter your comments in the Message (limit of 1250 characters).
- Check for accuracy.
- Click on Send Message
You did it! Thank you for taking action in support of protecting wild buffalo in Montana!
Office of the Governor
PO Box 200801
Helena MT 59620-0801
Toll Free: 855-318-1330
Website form: https://governor.mt.gov/contact